The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
Our price: $15.99
You Save: $1.00
NEW! Now also available in a delightful animated DVD series!
Grounded in Scripture
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name is the same concept as The Big Picture Story Bible, but designed for either the young child who is looking for a bit more meat during family devotions or an older child who is a confident reader and a ready talker. We emphasize the latter as the concepts reflected in this storybook Bible are grounded in Scripture but missing from the church at large.
Family Devotions Discussion Starter
Also, this is not the Bible but a storybook, and as such, some of the stories have been embroidered a bit to add clarity or drama. What a wonderful opportunity, then, that the author gives us to talk with our children about perspective and intent and in some cases how they would have taken that passage and made it more understandable for children.
Vibrant, Quirky Illustrations
The vibrant, quirky illustrations by an award-winning children's book illustrator are both stunning and intriguing and are liable to promote discussions on their own!
It's All About Jesus
If you want a profound children's Bible storybook, where the overarching story is Jesus, The Jesus Storybook Bible does it nicely.
Author: Sally Lloyd-Jones
Copyright: March 2007
Printed In: China
Illustrated by: Jago,an accomplished illustrator with several prestigious awards to his credit, including an AOI Silver Award in 2004, and the National Literacy Association 'Wow!' Award.
Awards and Endorsements:
2007 Gold Moonbeam Award
2009 NAPPA Award Winner
2010 Mom's Choice Award Winner
ALA's 2010 list of Notable Children's Recordings
- "A unique resource for communicating the gospel to children in all it's fullness."
- —Kathy Keller, Redeemer Church Parenting Newsletter, NYC, Feb 2007
- "I would urge not just families with young children to get this book, but every Christian"
- —Dr Tim Keller, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, NYC, Feb 2007
- "The Jesus Storybook Bible is unlike any other storybook. True, that's to be expected when you combine the mesmerizing illustrations of Jago and the award-winning writing of Sally Lloyd-Jones, a Brit with an uncanny knack for storytelling. Not only is each story as vividly illustrated as it is portrayed, but also each tale is telling one Big Story--the Story of Jesus. Even the Old Testament stories of `The young hero and the horrible giant' and `Daniel and the scary sleepover' come full circle to Jesus, the greatest Hero, King, Lover and Rescuer the world has ever known." —More to Life Magazine, May 2007
- "'The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name' disproves the adage that you can't judge a book by its cover. Jago's award-winning cover art is a foretaste of the whimsically insightful and richly colored drawings that await you on every one of the book's 351 pages. The illustrations alone are worth the price of the book. Jago the illustrator, and Sally Lloyd-Jones the author, are a good pair. She brings the same creativity and sense of humor to her telling of the Bible's stories. But Lloyd-Jones's writing isn't cutesy. She has a grasp of the profound. How does one explain to a child the agony of Jesus in Gethsemane, and his prayer of surrender to his Father? Lloyd-Jones does it as well as any biblical commentator. The title and subtitle are even better than the book's delightful illustrations and narrative -- because they provide, in one deft stroke, the interpretive key that unlocks the meaning of the whole Bible. 'The Jesus Storybook Bible' says it all: The Scriptures are not merely a collection of stories designed to teach moral lessons. As Jesus explained to the men walking the road to Emmaus on Resurrection Sunday, the whole Bible is about Jesus. In the words of the subtitle, every story whispers his name. Lloyd-Jones manages to show again and again the presence of Christ in all the Old Testament Scriptures, and the presence of the Old Testament Scriptures in the life of Christ." —Christianity Today
We have almost completed this book. Pros- All stories end with a focus on Jesus Christ being our savior, why it was necessary, and important. Cons- Not everything was "biblical" --- there were a lot of artistic liberties taken.
Overall, we will continue to read this bible until it is completed but I doubt we will read it again.
My 3 year old daughter begs me to keep reading more whenever we read from this story Bible! I love the emphasis on the over arching narrative of God's plan and the constant pointing to Jesus.
We read a story from a children's bible every night before bed. We've found great ones, adequate ones, and ones that miss a lot of important points entirely. This bible is definitely on our keeper list. The kids like it a lot, especially our oldest. My husband and I love that it is intentional is pointing out Jesus as the focus of the bible, as well as reiterating over and over his love for us.Our only complaints are that it's a bit verbose (it can be kind of tiresome to read and sometimes our younger ones get lost) and because of the way it's written, some of the stories get away from how they're presented in the bible.That said, it's a great addition to our bookshelf and we recommend it to everyone.
Probably the most profound children's Bible I've ever run across. We love this books so much that we are on our third or fourth reading. It presents the story of the Bible, Jesus, God love and grace in a beautiful and profound way. I learn things from it and I've been a Christian for 25 years!
I purchased this for my granddaughter for Christmas. I was impressed with it, along with the video I watched about the book. Very well done!