What Your Preschooler Needs to Know
Our price: $22.75
What Your Preschooler Needs to Know is a beautifully illustrated read-aloud anthology offering your preschooler what fellow parents, educators, and distinguished developmental psychologists consider the "core of knowledge" for preschoolers.
Covers 6 Subject Areas
Presented in a read-aloud format to help your child get ready for Kindergarten, with sections for each subject, including:
- History: This down-to-earth introduction to American history has dynamic illustrations, powerful stories, and a handful of simple projects you and your child can enjoy together.
- Science: What Your Preschooler Needs to Know contains spot-on questions and stunning photos which will encourage your child to observe and experience the wonder of animals and the physical properties of light, air, and water.
- Music: Children love songs, especially activity songs, so What Your Preschooler Needs to Know includes both the classics you grew up with, and a couple of new ones to boot.
- Favorite Poems and Rhymes: Rhymes are a critical pre-reading skill. What Your Preschooler Needs to Know includes delightfully illustrated poems, limericks, tongue twisters, and "fingerplay" verses that you and your child can perform together.
- Visual Arts: Vibrant, full-color reproductions of all sorts of art will give you an opportunity to talk about shapes, colors, different styles, and art history.
- Beloved Stories and Fables: Read-aloud stories might be your child's favorite section, but families differ in their tastes in literature, so be sure to pre-read the stories to make sure they are aligned with your family's values.
In addition, What Your Preschooler Needs to Know contains valuable sidebars throughout the book suggesting questions to ask and games to play to deepen your preschooler's learning experience. There's also an appendix at the end of the book for additional resources. What Your Preschooler Needs to Know presents tons of opportunities to promote curiosity and kindle a love of learning in your child.
Enrich your preschooler's learning experience with...
Edited by: E.D. Hirsch Jr & Linda Bevilacqua
Publisher: Random House Inc
Printed In: China
I was not sure what to expect at first, but this book is great. There are tons of stories, poems, and songs. It includes history lessons and basic science information too.
My daughter especially loved the three little pigs after playing the three little pigs logic game for pre-k.
We used this book for our oldest a few years ago and we're about to start using it for our middle child this year. It is full of read aloud stories and biographies and science lessons among other things that are important for children to learn that you may not think to teach on your own. Each one is short so you keep the child's attention and if you want to build on the lesson with more you can supplement it. I felt like my child really enjoyed listening to the lessons being read to him and he definitely retained a lot of the knowledge. I was nervous about homeschooling and this book gave me confidence.
We enjoyed this book. We just read though different parts and talked about them. While a guide book would be nice it is great to introduce simple topics, discuss some art, history, science and more. All of the reading are simple for a young child to understand. We also love the fiction stories. They are classics every child should know.
This title is not my favorite. I purchased it because I thought it would give clear guidance during our first year of homeschooling about things I needed to include. I love the idea of it being super open and go- turn to a selection from any subject and read it out loud. Awesome. But I feel like beyond that, the content was just OK for me.
I am going to start with the negative that there really wasn't a clear way to use this book it sometimes just seemed like a bunch of readings put together. On the other side of that my children enjoyed the stories and some of the educational readings. I am not sure if I was supposed to do more then just read it, but we enjoyed most of the readings.