What Your Preschooler Needs to Know
Our price: $22.75
What Your Preschooler Needs to Know is a beautifully illustrated read-aloud anthology offering your preschooler what fellow parents, educators, and distinguished developmental psychologists consider the "core of knowledge" for preschoolers.
Covers 6 Subject Areas
Presented in a read-aloud format to help your child get ready for Kindergarten, with sections for each subject, including:
- History: This down-to-earth introduction to American history has dynamic illustrations, powerful stories, and a handful of simple projects you and your child can enjoy together.
- Science: What Your Preschooler Needs to Know contains spot-on questions and stunning photos which will encourage your child to observe and experience the wonder of animals and the physical properties of light, air, and water.
- Music: Children love songs, especially activity songs, so What Your Preschooler Needs to Know includes both the classics you grew up with, and a couple of new ones to boot.
- Favorite Poems and Rhymes: Rhymes are a critical pre-reading skill. What Your Preschooler Needs to Know includes delightfully illustrated poems, limericks, tongue twisters, and "fingerplay" verses that you and your child can perform together.
- Visual Arts: Vibrant, full-color reproductions of all sorts of art will give you an opportunity to talk about shapes, colors, different styles, and art history.
- Beloved Stories and Fables: Read-aloud stories might be your child's favorite section, but families differ in their tastes in literature, so be sure to pre-read the stories to make sure they are aligned with your family's values.
Kindle a Love for Learning
In addition, What Your Preschooler Needs to Know contains valuable sidebars throughout the book suggesting questions to ask and games to play to deepen your preschooler's learning experience. There's also an appendix at the end of the book for additional resources. What Your Preschooler Needs to Know presents tons of opportunities to promote curiosity and kindle a love of learning in your child.
Editors: E.D. Hirsch Jr & Linda Bevilacqua
Number of Pages: 224
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Printed In: China
Many of the poems, stories, and songs in this book are ageless. A good resource for those classics that you want your kids to hear time and again. My only gripe is that I wish music was included with the songs - either a link to a video or actual notes that I can plunk out on the piano. A lot of the songs I did not know by title, but once I found the songs on YouTube, I recognized it.
We enjoyed reading this book together. The comments on the side helped me to have a discussion with my daughter about topics we were learning. She looked forward to new rhymes and songs everyday!
I would not say this is essential. It definitely helps me stretch in items (like culturally significant rhymes) that I don't generally share with my kids. But a necessary part of the their preschool curriculum? Probably not.
We find this book very interesting. It has a wide array of topics including: poems, songs, stories, history, science, and art. It also includes questions or topics to discuss with your kids.
I didn’t realize this was a compilation of stories. There is such a awesome variety of literature in this book. It’s a huge value with all of the stories and poems that are included.
I’m definitely hanging onto it for my younger child to grow into.