What Your Preschooler Needs to Know
Our price: $22.75
What Your Preschooler Needs to Know is a beautifully illustrated read-aloud anthology offering your preschooler what fellow parents, educators, and distinguished developmental psychologists consider the "core of knowledge" for preschoolers.
Covers 6 Subject Areas
Presented in a read-aloud format to help your child get ready for Kindergarten, with sections for each subject, including:
- History: This down-to-earth introduction to American history has dynamic illustrations, powerful stories, and a handful of simple projects you and your child can enjoy together.
- Science: What Your Preschooler Needs to Know contains spot-on questions and stunning photos which will encourage your child to observe and experience the wonder of animals and the physical properties of light, air, and water.
- Music: Children love songs, especially activity songs, so What Your Preschooler Needs to Know includes both the classics you grew up with, and a couple of new ones to boot.
- Favorite Poems and Rhymes: Rhymes are a critical pre-reading skill. What Your Preschooler Needs to Know includes delightfully illustrated poems, limericks, tongue twisters, and "fingerplay" verses that you and your child can perform together.
- Visual Arts: Vibrant, full-color reproductions of all sorts of art will give you an opportunity to talk about shapes, colors, different styles, and art history.
- Beloved Stories and Fables: Read-aloud stories might be your child's favorite section, but families differ in their tastes in literature, so be sure to pre-read the stories to make sure they are aligned with your family's values.
Kindle a Love for Learning
In addition, What Your Preschooler Needs to Know contains valuable sidebars throughout the book suggesting questions to ask and games to play to deepen your preschooler's learning experience. There's also an appendix at the end of the book for additional resources. What Your Preschooler Needs to Know presents tons of opportunities to promote curiosity and kindle a love of learning in your child.
Editors: E.D. Hirsch Jr & Linda Bevilacqua
Number of Pages: 224
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Printed In: China
What your preschooler needs to know is a fun little companion to your homeschool curriculum. We actually use it at bedtime. The stories are, in my opinion, more for cuddling up and reading together before bed than to use during school time. These stories brought me back to my own childhood!
My boy and I have finished this book twice and he has learned a lot. I love how it talks about so many different things from poems to history to earth facts to art. It really makes a great intro to a lot of different subjects of learning. And the best part is we can reread over and over and get new things out of it.
This book is seriously so good. 10 stars! I’m a first time homeschooler and have found this to be SO helpful. The stories are written in a way that my 4 yr old PreK can understand and he’s really interested when I read. We have been learning about thanksgiving and this book really helped lay the foundation in an easy to digest way. It doesn’t go too deep into the topics but I like that. It gives me freedom to add to them as needed. It also helps me feel like I’m on the “right track” in case he eventually goes to public school. I even bought one for my second grader.
This is a nice complain of lots of different subjects to go through with my preschooler.
As a while we just weren't that impressed with this book. For a title so demanding, it really feel short. It's surprising that a lot of the information world be deemed "need to know."